Newsletter Subscription

Subscribe

* indicates required

Vintage Sheet Quilt :: Pinwheel Pop by Kelly Cole


Many moons ago I was commissioned by a friend to make a baby quilt for her new grand baby coming into the world. What a great opportunity to create a pattern I had been thinking about with all different sized quilt blocks that fit together like a puzzle. Simple to make yet looks complex. 


I set about making a quilt pattern in a computer program (can't recall which one, maybe photoshop?)  I first made three pinwheel squares I knew would fit together easily; then I placed them, moved them around and added a few horizontal bars to piece it all together into a 36" x 54" crib quilt. 


My friends daughter loved the new quilt and once I made the first quilt I knew I was onto something. I took the pattern and submitted it for publication into Quilty Magazine and it was published in Sept 2013 (or some where about then(almost 8 years!)). I thought it would be fun to rework the pattern and create something new to publish on my own but haven't yet.


So fast forward some years later from that publication date and I knew I had to make a pinwheel pop in vintage sheets and make it super scrappy. Which I did. 


Vintage sheets have this magical quality; when you put them together they all just blend into a beautiful pastel, vintage, shabby chic, easter bunny goodness. The prints don't have to go together because the hues in the colors do. 


The quilting is interesting. At first I did a dense wavy line within the pinwheels but my thread kept breaking. (I think the backing was too thin; don't use old worn sheets for quilt backs, use the good stuff) So I abandoned that dense quilting idea because I appreciate peace and sanity for myself and I took out the trusty ol' walking foot and did the good ol' stichin in the ditch.


I am pretty proud of this quilt. I affirmed for myself that I can design and write a pattern that other quilters will enjoy. I plan on making myself proud all over again by writing a few more quilt patterns. Stay tuned.


PS. Here's a link to the pinwheel pop I made for magazine submission. you can purchase the pattern here and I may or may not receive a royalty. I don't know!

PPS. This quilt won Second Premium at the Clackamas County Fair in 2018, so yea. big deal. ;0)

Comments

Post a Comment