Newsletter Subscription

Subscribe

* indicates required

Vintage Sheet Quilt :: Warm Cool Sky Diamonds

Hello! Come with me for a little story about the newest finished quilt top I just sewed up. It's called Sky Diamonds quilt pattern by Running Doe Quilts. I can't quite remember where I saw this quilt but when I did I knew I wanted to make it in vintage sheets with yellow and blue; or a warm/cool color combination.


I started this quilt when my oldest son started online school back in Sept of 2020. Boy does that seem like a long time ago! I wanted a simple project I could sew on while I helped him through those first weeks of online learning. It served me well to have a little something to focus on while still guiding him through school work. 


It was a slow start and that was intentional. I wanted this quilt to be a little side project I could pick-up and put down when needed. 


And then it became an eye sore when I walked into my studio and saw the unfinished blocks on the design wall. So in about May 2021 I put the sewing machine pedal to the floor and finished up all the blocks. I shared them as I went on Instagram


A funny thing happens when you focus on a project; it comes together! The quilt top was sewn together and I just love the bright yellows with the mix of blue and aqua. 


I added a striped border on either side to widen the quilt. I made 15 quilt blocks total and the border is 4". It turned into a generous throw sized quilt.


The quilt is so pretty, soft, scrappy and vintage. A great mix for a simple quilt. 




I enjoyed making this quilt and I look forward to quilting it too. Maybe once the kiddos go back to school this September I'll have the time for that! I made a fat quarter bundle in yellow and blue shades so you can recreate the feel of this quilt in any quilt pattern. Find the bundle in the shop here.


Thanks for reading! Leave me a comment or question below.

Kelly 

Comments

Post a Comment