Newsletter Subscription

Subscribe

* indicates required

Vintage Sheet Quilt :: Nordic Crossing Mix Vintage and Modern Fabrics

 



Sometimes I step out of my comfort zone and into the design zone. I did not design this quilt but I was a 'quilt tester'; that is a person who makes an unpublished quilt pattern to test it out for the quilt designer and makes note of any mistakes in the pattern or ways that the pattern could be more clear. I volunteered to be a tester only once and it was because I loved the design of this quilt called Nordic Crossing by Coral and Co Patterns. 

And I have to note that after testing this pattern I was more confident than ever that I could write quilt patterns because this designer wrote a decent pattern with some errors and mistakes but then was able to publish a complete and correct pattern because of the community of quilters who were testing. A lot of times I get wrapped up in having to do it all myself; well not anymore.


The design fun came into play when I chose fabrics. The star and cross shapes are what make this such an interesting quilt. I knew using a low-volume for the background and a solid darker shade around the star points was a must to make it all pop. I then selected some fun bright fat quarters that I had in the stash (I only used stash fabrics to make this quilt). These prints are fun bright, bold and eye catching. Now can you tell which fabrics are vintage and which fabrics are modern?



80% of the fabrics are vintage! Can you believe it? The red/pink and the teal/green around the center squares are the only modern fabrics. The rest is a mix of vintage sheets (all the low-volume background prints) and vintage yardage - even the sweet peach print for the crosses are vintage fabric finds.

To learn more about sewing with vintage sheets and modern fabrics see my blog post all about it here.



Comments